If you feel like switching it up from your traditional chili- try this white chili. It's still full of veggies and beans, with just a little spin on the flavor profile.
OPN Conversion: 1 1/2 cup = 1/2 protein + 1 starch + 1 vegetable
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3-4 heaping cups baby kale
- a few dashes/tbsp hot sauce, optional (we used @hanksauce iceman)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, peppers, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in beans and seasonings, cook for a few more minutes. Add broth, increase heat and bring to boil. Then reduce and simmer for 5-10 more minutes.
- Add quinoa, cover and cook for 12-ish minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Stir in kale, allow to wilt. Add hot sauce if desired.