Looking for an easy, veggie heavy, use up some pantry stables, side? We've got you covered. The big thing to remember is that you can always swap your preferred (or whatever you have) vegetable for what we recommend. Don't have asparagus? No problem, try green beans, broccoli or cauliflower.
OPN Conversion: 1 cup = 1 starch + 1 vegetable + 1 condiment
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, rinsed, ends trimmed, cut into 2 in pieces
- Salt & fresh black pepper, to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package but instead of using water, swap chicken or vegetable broth. While the quinoa cooks, heat oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Add red onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until fragrant. Mix in garlic. Sautee for another 2-4 minutes.
- Add asparagus and cook until tender. Season with salt & pepper. Once quinoa is finished, add to pan with veggies and toss to combine.