Looking for a meal to feed the whole family or the perfect meal prep meal for next week? This one takes the cake. It's also a perfect meal to freeze and have ready to pull out for a lazy evening when you don't feel like cooking. Feel free to serve with tortilla chips, extra veggies or topped with avocado, fresh lime or green onions.
OPN Conversion: 1 1/4 cup = 1 protein + 1 1/2 starch + 1/2 veg + 1 dairy
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 package @lightlife Gimme Lean Sausage (or 1 lb ground turkey)
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce (@siete or homemade)
- 2 cups shredded light Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish, set aside.
- Add quinoa and water to medium saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 min or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork then cover and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, warm 1 tsp oil, add ground sausage or ground turkey, break up with a spoon and cook until meat is tender/lightly browned. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno. Saute until soft, about 5 min, then add peppers and corn. Cook for 3-5 min.
- Add lime juice and cumin, then salt and pepper to taste. In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, beans, cooked meat and sauteed veggies. Pour in enchilada sauce and stir to combine. Mix in 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Transfer mix to prepared baking dish, top with remaining cheese. Cover with foil, bake for 20 min, remove foil and cook for another 10-15 min until cheese is melted and begins to brown.