Use this sauce for our Enchilada Casserole or with your other favorite casserole, enchiladas, or as a dip!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Measure/whisk together dry ingredients. Prepare tomato paste and veg broth, set by stove.
- Warm oil in a medium pot over medium heat until it's hot enough that a sprinkle of the spices sizzles if you add to pot. Once warm, add flour/spices mix, whisk constantly until fragrant and darker in color (about 1 min).
- Add in tomato paste, whisk to combine then slowly whisk in broth. Raise the heat and bring to simmer, then reduce to keep a gentle simmer. Cook, continuing to whisk, for another 5-ish minutes or until sauce has thickened a bit.
- Remove from heat and add fresh black pepper and any other desired seasonings.